Search This Blog

Monday, December 6, 2010

time to pass GO



I've been pretty busy these past few weeks so forgive me, I haven't had much time to update my blog with movies, fashion and literature. I'm trying my hardest to get my thoughts out there before I drift off into never never land so today I figured I'd blog a little about me. What about me is so important you ask? Well, I'm a writer and I sincerely admire that fact about me. It's a hard art to cultivate but as I look back on my old high school journals to my current entries, I'm impressed with the tremendous growth I've accomplished. Life really is all about moving forward so perhaps in 5 years I'll look at this entry and feel even more motivated to finally finish my 3rd (unfinished) novel. I wrote this poem recently and since I've been forced to stretch and bend outside of my normal passive routine, I thought why not. So here it is, Poem 8:15/9:37:

8:15/9:37

DO NOT PASS GO
I keep hearing it
Like a beautiful metaphor
Reminiscent of my childhood demons
Quiet and acquiescent
Yet always
Refusing my right
To grow

My reluctance
Not to pass
Has suffocated
My inner Ángel
At the most inopportune times
Leaving her twisted and torn
Bruised
And forlorn
This unwillingness
To move on
Has transformed
Morphed
And become
My marathon
Mi carrera
Mi lucha
My triathlon

I want to
I need to
I have to
Passing GO
Is all that I know
How
To
Do

DO NOT PASS GO…
It is whispered amongst the shadows
Proudly proclaiming my name
Haunting my dreams
And wrapping its legs around
My fantasies
But like all childhood demons
It’s time I said good-bye
Because
The woman
That stares back at me now
Is finally ready
To
Kiss
The sky…

Genez

Okay, so let's break this down. My first thought when writing this piece was of my childhood memories playing Monopoly. It's everybody's goal to pass GO, collect $200 and perhaps acquire a nice piece of real estate on Boardwalk or Park Place. Throw up some hotels, charge heavily for staying there, live happily ever after and win the game. As children, it's never impossible to become who you want to be but along the way all kinds of detours pop up. Once you venture into the real world, you're told to STOP. Stop dreaming, stop imagining, stop believing and most importantly, stop being YOU. Like Monopoly, you're penalized for wanting anything more than the crappy little places adjacent to Baltic Avenue. But, the little girl inside of me, Genez, wants to break out of those confined boundaries and accomplish something that no one has ever done before. She wants to be a legend but she often becomes paralyzed because of the messages she's collected along the way. Part of me is screaming for freedom, the other part often finds comfort in complacency. Throughout the years this imbalance has been tried and tested by situations where my growth is not only necessary, it is mandatory. This poem is all about fighting against the constraints because, after all, Park Place is obtainable. As the poem ends, it is a stark reminder that anything is possible. After all, "the woman that stares back at me is finally ready to kiss the sky". Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment