Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

literature worth EATING


These days I'm enamored with everything Asian and as bell hooks would say, I'm thoroughly content on 'eating the other'. My current read for the moment is Pai Kit Fai's first novel, The Concubine's Daughter (2009). It's 471 pages filled with the courage and determination of Li-Xia  (Beautiful One) and I must admit I'm finding this book hard to put down. In brilliant detail, Fai recounts the heroism of Li-Xia as she rages against the confines of concubinage in an effort to free herself as well as the life of her daughter Siu-Sing (Little Star). Filled with insight and encouragement, it's a heart stirring reminder that one's mind almost always determines their situation in life.
Protect the secrets of your heart as others may protect the jewels and riches of a kingdom, share them only with those deserving of your trust. Do not allow your expectations to rise above your reach, but let no one set a limit to your hopes and dreams.
With lines like that, I can't help but wonder if there will be a film version someday. The Concubine's Daughter definitely gets 5 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment