Search This Blog

Sunday, October 10, 2010

so I was thinking, ditto...I'M NOT THERE


On Sundays, I normally wind down the weekend with a few films, a glass or two of Clos du Bois and an open mind that's willing to devour anything new, edgy or avant-garde. This weekend was no exception to the rule. When I came across I'm Not There (2007), I knew I'd been rescued from the hundreds of 'just average' films that have flooded my DVD for the past two months. After all, Cate Blanchett plays the role of Jude Quinn and I, for one, couldn't wait to see if she could pull off a role that was respectfully reserved for a man. And besides, I love films about gritty rock stars who've lived life without believing in the consequences.

So, I settled in, ready to learn about Bob Dylan, (better late than never) but I was less than prepared for the creativity of director Todd Haynes. Instantly, I was reminded of Tarantino when he believed in being more raw and less Hollywood, Gibson when he wasn't angry and Spielberg when he didn't want to paint everything so glossy and beautiful. It's important to point out that Haynes' film had nothing at all to do with the actual life and times of Dylan himself. In fact, Dylan is never portrayed as a character in the film. He is never part of the bigger scheme. After the opening credits, his name is never even mentioned again. But, where he is instrumental and most influential is through his music. It infiltrates the film. It defines the lives of six characters who all have a 'piece' of Dylan in their persona, in their making, in their genes. I couldn't help but think that if someone told the story of ME...I'd want it to be through my words as well.

The camera angles, still shots and montage sequences all combined to create a film that lived up to its reputation. Not only did Haynes introduce a new generation to the music of Bob Dylan, he changed the way a story about a man's life should be told. I, for one, am a fan of creative genius and Todd Haynes did more than deliver...he changed the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment