Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

it's all about CREATING


It's the holidays and for me that means the three F's: family, friends and film. Things have been really hectic these past couple of days and I could really use a little R&R. All of this has led me to dig into my box of tricks and I've come up with The Libertine (2004) staring Johnny Depp and directed by Laurence Dunmore. I haven't watched it yet so I can't really say anything amazingly perceptive about it, but I plan to. I've always liked Johnny Depp since Edward Scissorhands (1990) and I can't wait to settle in and see him go to work. There's something about an actor who goes outside of himself to portray the least admirable roles that impresses me. I find that in Depp because he constantly goes against the grain. He doesn't want to be king, cinema's golden boy or our next beautiful savior. He just wants to act and act he does. So as I settle down to admire everything about this film, no matter how small, I'll also be reminded that loving what you do and doing what you love will be at the top of my holiday list this season. It's time I upped the ante, like Depp, and created a world in which only I could survive in. I hear my own theme music playing in the background...what about you?

UPDATE: After watching The Libertine, I must say that I am once again awed with Johnny Depp's dedication to his character's portrayal. The film begins and ends with a monologue by Depp in which he describes who and what he is, without apologies. He lives recklessly, without much thought of anything other than his own passions for women, alcohol and his undying need to make a mockery of the royal court. What stood out was Dumore's choice of gritty filtering, camera work/editing and the bare minimum of lighting he used to unfold this narrative. It was quite effective and eventually, all I thought about was the symbolic downfall of the Earl of Rochester (Depp) along with the declining English and French monarchy. It is a cautionary tale; full of animalistic sexual innuendos, the objectification of women and the clear disregard of the poor by the wealthy. My favorite line: "Well...do you like me now?" Depp repeats this line over and over again as the movie ends and fades to black. It's almost as if he's questioning whether or not his downfall has made those with a social status less than his feel superior. Ultimately, failure turns upon itself as a redemptive tool and I, for one, could totally relate.

No comments:

Post a Comment