Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

off with their HEADS


Lately I've been drawn to historical films and 18th century Europe. I keep thinking it must have been a great era to live in so I didn't blink twice when I came across Sofia Coppola's version of Marie Antoinette. I grabbed it like it was the last tube of Chanel Coral Love Glossimer (my favorite by the way). And I can't say I wasn't disappointed. Not only does Coppola re-tell the story of France's young 'Queen of Debt', she recreates this epic tragedy in her own authentic view, complete with all of the trappings of representation and tradition. I must admit I love it when that happens. Finding a film based on feminine strength is somewhat scarce these days, even if it eventually leads to total destruction.

Set in 18th century France, Marie Antoinette (2006) is full of nothing but expectations. With repetitious symbolism, lavish costumes, breathtaking mise-en-scenes, great camerawork and a vast array of music, Coppola seamlessly pulls it all together. Antoinette is never a victim. Even as she is imprisoned, she remains impressively stoic and royal. It's an admirable trait and I'm convinced that the pressure to produce a work of art with such a strong voice was as urgent to Coppola as it was to Marie Antoinette during her reign.  In my opinion, she did more than deliver and with her background, it's hard to imagine otherwise.

Praise aside, Marie Antoinette did have its flaws. At times, Kirsten Dunst (Antoinette) appeared too whimsical and too beautiful, almost as if she were lost in an Estee Lauder commercial. There's no denying that greed makes everyone ugly and it would have been nice to see Dunst in shreds and sullied; especially as the Palace of Versailles was being overtaken by an unruly mob. Even with all of it's beauty, the film still scored big with me because it examined the painful price that's paid when illusions create the ruins of a kingdom. As the screen fades to black, I can most certainly hear Marie Antoinette scream one of her most famous lines, "let them eat cake!" Now that...would have made an interesting ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment